"The Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your soul in drought, and strengthen your bones; You shall be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail." NKJV

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Work

I am nearing the end of my work career.  I look forward to retirement on some level but I also can't help but look back and marvel at the journey.  It's been a long and winding road.  I've taken some detours and breaks along the way.   I have always sought to challenge myself though and I find myself in the ER now.  It can be a tough job.  I have to deal with complex patients and tough social situations.  I keep trying to be a better listener.  It's never ending learning and change.  Mostly I like my job, but it can be hectic and stressful.  I want to help people and sometimes it's just sewing up a cut.  Sometimes it's listening or breaking bad news to them.  Often I can relieve their physical pain.  Sometimes I'm just a witness to their tragedy.  I have lots of stories from my time in this strange place and I know I will miss it when I retire.

  I've been thinking about how important schedule is for your work life.  I've sometimes made job decisions based on it and I know other people have too.  I left a secure 9-5  M-F position to embrace a variable, holiday and weekend responsibility. This isn't what people usually chose. I always felt that I was in jail working 9-5 though.  I glory in being off during the week when other people are working.  I like to be able to choose my time off rather than be confined to weekends.  I do love my time off.  We like to garden,  camp and travel.  Work is important but so is living a good life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment