"The Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your soul in drought, and strengthen your bones; You shall be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail." NKJV

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

azaelas

      We have lived in our house over 15 years now.  The front landscaping was a hodge podge of shrubs when we moved here.  At some point I decieded I'd like to grow white azaelas as a nice backdrop for other flowers-and I love azaelas.  There were several in various colors already growing here.  So over the years, I'd plant a few and most of them died.  I was attempting the one bush at a time landscape plan.  After years of this I stopped and took notice of all my failures.  This fall I took a soil sample to the extension agent and told him what I wanted to do.  I also consulted with a landscaper about an overall plan.  I read several books about growing azaelas.  Then I used the tiller and ammended the soil.  I purchased 4 large white azaelas.  Then I added soaker hoses and an automatic watering system.  I also added lots of pine needle mulch.  At this point I am 100% committed.  Time will tell if I'm successful but I know I'm at least doing all I can.  I'm also going to add frequent attention. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like me and my ivy on the bank. 20 yrs later I have ivy on one bank and a comb-over on another bank. You have got to be very patient if you want a particular kind of plant that doesn't particularly want to be where you want it.
    Mil

    ReplyDelete