"The Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your soul in drought, and strengthen your bones; You shall be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail." NKJV

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fear

   Recently I've been thinking about fear.  It can be a huge hindrance.  My oldest daughter recently spent two months overseas.  I kept having nightmares about obstacles she could face.  I admired her gumption to go but several people commented that they could never do such a thing.  It seems that our fears get larger as we get older, so maybe we had best have our adventures when we're young.
   Everyone in my family has a fear of the water.  None of us can swim.  I have found out that my dad nearly drowned as a young man and told my mother not to take us near the water.  So we all have this fear of the water, due to a lack of exposure I guess.  And from someone who has had swimming lessons, it can be a strong fear.  We can inherit fears from our parents in this way.  Parents can also help you face and overcome your fears.  It's hard as a parent to watch your children do things that scare you, but it can be done. 
   In healthcare, I see alot of anxiety.  It can be debiliatating.  We frequently make our own cages and limit ourselves.  I  wonder what I could accomplish if I didn't let fear get in my way.  And heaven help me from passing on my fears to my children.   We all need to just go boldly out into the world trusting in the goodness that is all around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment