"The Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your soul in drought, and strengthen your bones; You shall be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail." NKJV

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fall and Halloween

         This week we have watched the leaves start to fall in the front yard.  There's been a huge harvest moon.  This really is my favorite time of year.  Fall is more colorful than spring and it signals the start of winter and the rest season.  Most of the work has been done and the harvest is in or close to being in.  Spring and summer are so labor intensive that I look forward to a break. Fall is the time that you put plants to bed for the winter.   I love the cooler nights and the colors of fall.  Pumpkins, apples and hearty soups are some of my favorite foods.
      Then there's the most fascinating holiday- Halloween.  Who is not intrigued or scared some by the thought of death?  I reverence those that have gone before me.  I want to remember them and celebrate their lives.  Catholics know this really is the origin of Halloween.  Cemetaries should be special places.  They fascinate me.  Death and what lies beyond really is the big mystery, isn't it?  (Maybe the existence of alien life forms is the number 1 mystery according to Hollywood?)  Death is something that we all are touched by eventually.  It's the mystery we all have to come to grips with ourselves.  I feel that Halloween in some small part helps us to do this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment